… I will not lie, I am tempted to despair. The dark days are a struggle for me, year after year.
But here are some things I have tried, and they do help me, at least a little.
- Riding a bike. Or walking. Or yoga. Even just stretching. MOVING!!
2. Learning how to bake. I have pretty bad luck with baking historically, so I took a pie class with friends. I learned so much about crust! And turned the leftover dough into Nutella rugelach.
3. What if I get really into puzzles? Will 2022 by my puzzle year?
4. Going to Philly. Just go ! I think you should go.
5. Reading comics / enjoying illustrations. They engage my brain in some special way.
6. Appreciating those few hours of slanted winter light. Golden hour is great … even at 3:45 p.m.
7. Historical House Candlelight Tour. Quaint cozy homes, fireplaces, candles, lanterns, holiday lights beaming outdoors, hot cider, cookies — bring it all on!
The lights cheer us because it is so dark for so long this season. Wrap me in blankets near my hearth, I am leaning in to winter.